At the Orlando Senior Help Desk of the Jewish Pavilion, we are frequently asked to recommend a home care company. There are a few things to consider such as years of experience. Ideally, the caregiver you hire has worked with other individuals with similar medical condones. You want a home companion who has had good training and continuing education. There are many personal attributes that are imperative such as warmth and compassion, attentiveness, patience, good communication skills etc. Agencies should be checking the references and criminal records of all of their employees.
Here is a list of questions to ask the agency:
1. What specific services do you offer?
2. What certifications do your caregivers have?
3. Do you background check all employees?
4. How long has your agency been in business?
5. Are family members included in your design of a care plan?
6. Who do I call with questions or complaints?
7. How are problems resolved?
8. Is there a minimum number of hours?
9. How does one add or reduce shifts on the current care plan?
10. How is technology used to improve the quality of care?
11. What are your fees?